Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Final Test Bust

So here's as far as I'll probably take the MB2009 test bust. It's been a worthwhile trial while I sit around feeling sorry for myself, full of snot-bugs. I didn't use any reference for this, but the result kind of reminds me of a cross between Dirty Harry and Herr Starr from Preacher. Notes about MB2009:
  • It doesn't have a renderer, thankfully it's got pretty good on-screen display functions so screen caps are okay and will have to do. I tried a render in Maya and couldn't be bothered waiting - this bust alone was 2051728 poly! Despite this it ran very well, no lag.
  • You can't duplicate meshes. Had to export one eye and re-import it just to duplicate!
  • No great posing tools - it's expected that you'll be using Maya again ofcourse, but I can see that it's not going to compete well against Zbrush without it.
  • Exporting normal and occlusion maps seems simple enough - not tested though.
  • Tools are limited, again compared to Zbrush, but do the job.
  • Layout in MB is a billion times easier to understand then Zbrush - I got started straight away, instead of staring at the screen like a gump when I first looked at the Z.
  • Sculpting eyes is murder.

No comments: